WHAT IS A URINARY TRACT?
Your urinary tract is the part of your body that helps you pee.
- Kidneys filter toxin from blood making pee
- Ureter takes pee from kidneys to bladder
- Pee stays in bladder until you go to the bathroom
- Pee leaves your body through urethra
WHAT IS A URINARY TRACT INFECTION?
Sometimes, bacteria can go into the urethra and up into the bladder causing a urinary tract infection (UTI). Now, it makes it very hard to pee because it hurts.
HOW DO I KNOW I HAVE A UTI?
Put a check to what applies:
- Do you pee a lot in one day?
- When you pee, does it burn or sting?
- You go to bathroom often, but pees a little?
- Does your pee look cloudy?
- Does it smell funny?
- Does your pee look red?
- Do you feel pain in your lower stomach?
If you checked any of these boxes, talk with doctor.
WHO GETS UTI?
- Being a woman puts you at a higher risk because the distance between the urethra and the bladder is shorter.
- Someone who is sexually active
WHY TREAT A UTI RIGHT AWAY?
If the UTI is left untreated, it may lead to other problems, including:
- Infections that keeps occurring
- Permanent kidney damage
- For someone who is pregnant there is a risk that they may have a premature baby
- Sepsis (the infection has spread throughout the entire body)
WHAT WILL THE DOCTOR DO?
If the doctor thinks that you may have a UTI she will:
- Ask you to pee in a cup so she can examine the pee for germs
- Give you an antibiotic medication to help kill the germs that is making it hard to pee
- Tell you to avoid food and drinks with caffeine, such as coffee, tea, chocolate and soda
HOW TO PREVENT A UTI?
- Drink at least six to eight cups of water a day
- Drink cranberry juice
- When going to the bathroom, wipe from front to back
- Pee immediately before and after sexual intercourse
- Do not hold in your pee! If you have to go, GO!
Health Banana https://www.healthbanana.com/home-remedies-for-urinary-tract-infection/
The Diabetes Council https://www.thediabetescouncil.com/diabetes-and-urinary-tract-infections-things-you-need-to-know/
By Benya Rodthong 3.2018